Wednesday, January 4, 2012

In which I try resume our regularly scheduled program

There are a lot of reasons I haven't blogged in months, but there is one reason that stands out above all others: The pregnancy-induced narcolepsy I have had especially bad this time around. In all my pregnancies I've been really tired, and inclined to fall asleep at night while watching shows, or on a warm pile of laundry I'm supposed to be folding. But never have I been so exhausted as to fall asleep at stoplights, in the middle of a sentence, or every.single.time. I sit down. You can imagine what's happened every time I've sat down to blog. I just wake up some time later to realize that no blog has been written! It is no exaggeration when I say this has happened dozens of times, including three times since I've started this paragraph. Add to that the general busy-ness of my life, topped with the hectic pace of the holiday season and you can see how blogging has fallen lower and lower on the totem pole.

I do, however, want to share all the things we've been up to so I will forge ahead, no matter how long it takes, to recap the rest of 2011. Beginning with our trip to the Elegant Farmer in Wisconsin for our annual apple picking. You may remember that I'm slightly neurotic about maximizing the awesomeness that is autumn in the midwest. The sights, sounds, smells, flavors and experiences are honestly just a little more magical in Chicagoland than anywhere I've ever been--and picking apples in Wisconsin is the quintessential midwest fall experience. So when we missed last years' apple harvest by a few days, I was totally bummed out. There was no way that was going to happen again, so the calendar was marked about 325 days ahead of time so nothing could possibly come in the way of my memory-making again! The week of our adventure came, and the weather was beautiful, apples were a-plenty, and things were looking good.....until something horrible happened to my back. I wish I could tell you what that something was, but the reality was this: I stood up, immediately fell down, and couldn't get up again. I lay there on the carpet next to my couch for a long time trying to position my legs in a way that would allow me to put weight on them, but I couldn't even roll over. I hadn't felt anything "pop" like it had when I slipped a disk years ago, but the pain was just as intense. I had my phone next to me, so I called Chanel (Seth was out on a jobsite I think and not available) who said I needed to go see Doc Brown, the awesome chiropractor in their office building. I fully agreed with her, but explained that there was no way I was going to be able to get myself in a car, along with my 4 kids and drive 45 minutes when I couldn't even sit up. So being the awesome friend she is, she drove 45 minutes to come get me, get the kids in the car, and try to haul me in the car as well. I'm not sure how we actually got me in the car--but it wasn't pretty. The next 45 minutes driving there was excruciating as was getting out of the car and up the elevator to his office. Doc Brown told me that basically the baby was sitting on just the right spot that made things like sitting, standing, walking, breathing, and moving pretty much intolerable. So while that was good in terms of not having an actual injury, it was not good for much else. He manipulated me as best he could to relieve the pressure and sent me on my way. Getting to the car was a little easier on the way out, but within minutes of driving things started hurting a million times worse and I declare it the most painful 45 minutes ever. By the time we got home I couldn't move anymore. At all. And that's how things stayed for the next few days. I could not sit, stand, walk, or get myself from A to B without massive assistance. Of course my first thought was, "How am I going to go apple picking if I can't get up???" I realize that's not a normal thought for most people who are basically rendered temporarily paralyzed, but like I said before, I'm kind of neurotic about this particular time of year. Seth said there was no way we would be going, and I said, "watch me". So by the 3rd day I willed myself to stand up, and appear to walk somewhat normally enough to convince Seth that I'd had a total turn-around and was ready to go! Thankfully he bought into my ruse, and before long we were in the car on our way to Wisconsin. I would not have admitted it at that time, but holy crapola that car-ride was painful. And the fact that it lasted 3 hours didn't really help in the pain management department. But as soon as we got there it was immediately worth it. It was the most beautiful, sunny fall day and all was right with the world. We spent the afternoon picking apples and eating pie and I had my wish-come-true. And here is the photographic evidence:

It was worth every painful moment to be there with the gang
celebrating a tradition we will continue to enjoy regardless of injuries in our future. Oh! And in addition to snacking on tons of delicious apples, I also canned like 20 quarts of the most delicious applesauce ever, and only managed to blow up two jars in the process! I can't wait to do it again next year....